Help with Hurricane Relief
In this unprecedented hurricane season, NEA members have stepped up in large numbers to help. Our national organization has partnered with others to extend help to victims – including school employees and children from Texas to Florida and the Caribbean.For more on how you can get involved, read this message from NEA President, Lily Eskelsen García.
Enter to Win a $25 Gift Card from the BEA by Paying Dues in full by Oct. 31st
Already Thinking of Retirements after Two Weeks?
Our office, the South Oakland MEA, will be sponsoring two retirement workshops this fall. If you are thinking about retirement at the end of this year or in the near future, then sign up for a workshop on Oct. 23rd or Nov. 1st. Both workshops start at 4:30pm and are free to members. MEA Financial Services advisors will be there to answer all your retirement questions. Please contact Sandy Riccardi at 248-559-4770 to reserve your spot.
Raising School Employees’ Voices in the News
In her first column for The Detroit News, MEA President Paula Herbart shares messages she's hearing from front-line educators at Listening Tour events being held around the state by MEA’s new leadership team that includes Vice President Chandra Madafferi and Secretary Treasurer Brett Smith.
Herbart writes about school employees frustrated by top-down policy decisions dictated by Lansing politicians without expertise or understanding – a punitive approach to public education that has resulted in a growing teacher shortage.
Herbart covers a number of issues important to educators, from over-testing, to school funding, for-profit charter schools and privatization.
NEA Delegates Focus on Equity and Integrity in Education
This summer the National Education Association (NEA) conference was held in Boston Massachusetts. Attending on behalf of the BEA were NEA delegates Linda Peterson (Berkshire) and Scott Craig (Seaholm).
NEA Delegates adopted many new resolutions. Here are a few that will impact BEA teachers and our focus on equity in education.
Racial Justice: The NEA will actively advocate for the construction of social and educational strategies whose goal is the elimination of institutional racism, white privilege, and white supremacy.
Science Education: The NEA rebukes political efforts to undermine scientific truth and contends that science education be based on scientific consensus and theory that incorporates empirical evidence and scientific methodology.
Education Employee Evaluation: The NEA stands firm behind empirical studies that show standardized tests are inadequate measurements of teacher effectiveness and must not be used in any part of an evaluation.
Equity: The NEA stands for all students including immigrant students, students of color, students from religious minorities, and LGBTQ students and will act to ensure that their civil rights are fully protected.
July 1, 2017-December, 31, 2018
18 Month Rates
Negotiating Better Salary, Benefits, and Working Conditions!
- Speak out on your behalf to Board of Education
- Advocate to improve district Climate and Culture
- MESSA Insurance
- Duty Free lunch or $28/hr for working during lunch
- $1800 raise for BEA members at top of pay scale by the 2017-2018 school year
- 2/3rd years full steps for those on salary schedule; $1700-$3500 increase per year
- $1 million Liability Insurance (if sued on the job)
- 25% discount on legal fees for non-work related issues.
- Supplemental Pay for after school, coaching, and extra duties beyond the school day
- $10,000/yr increase in salary for obtaining a Master’s Degree
- Use PD Courses and District PD to advance Salary Lane
- Days By Arrangement (Take a vacation day when you need it)
- $1600 extra pay for working 26 years in BPS
- 9 Sick days, 3 Personal Business days, and 2 Religious days each year
- $27/hr for PD meetings during your prep time
- $28/hr for curriculum and PD work after school
- $84/day for evening events
- Help improve the evaluation system
- MEA Legal Representation on reprimands, evaluations, and grievances
- Calendar with holidays breaks, snow days, compensation days, and record days
- Paid maternity Leave (with sick days)
- Leaves of Absence to care for your family
- Short term and Long Term disability insurance with district paid health care
- Donation of Days for Members on long term illness with no sick days